One of the things I loved the most on the food bender I allowed myself last week was drinking Iced Chai Lattes at will. I've already espoused my love for Chai on the blog, but it's only grown exponentially since then. With the onset of summer, I have to move away from hot tea (or risk baking myself in the heat). I like iced coffee, but I just don't think I can live 3 months without Chai in my life. I'm that obsessed. Chai tea is one thing but dumping lattes down my gullet non-stop is a big no no, especially for my Primal diet.
So, I set about devising the following recipe for Chai Iced Tea that comes in around 8 calories per serving as opposed to the 150 usually found in a small skim Chai latte. Pretty snazzy, huh? I can tell you this is one of the simplest recipes I've ever made and one of the best tasting, sweet tooth satisfying treats ever. At only 8 calories a serving, there's no harm in getting a little addicted. Prepare thine gullets, fair readers! Chai deliciousness incoming!
About 8 and is good for one week if refrigerated.
5 cups boiling water
4 cups cold water
12 Chai teabags
Stevia or honey for sweetener
Total time: 10 minutes of prep, 2 hours of refrigeration.
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil.
- Steep all 12 teabags in the pot for approximately five minutes. Don't leave them in much longer even if you like strong tea because it will create a very bitter aftertaste.
- Remove and carefully strain the teabags through a slotted spoon.
- Stir in the desired amount of stevia or honey for the whole batch. I like 2 packets per cup, but if your tastes differ, then go for whatever works for you. Stir till all the sweetener is completely dissolved.
- Pour the steeped tea into a pitcher and stir in the four cups of cold water.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until cold.
- Serve over ice with a splash of almond milk!