I love fruit, especially when I'm trying to come down off of eating too many sweets (ahem... the Halloween Call of Cthulu and Hocus Pocus viewing party I attended with amazing pumpkin crumb cake, pumpkin juice, and candy... WOOPS). Idealy, if you're eating Paleo, you don't want to go overboard with the sweets, but if I'm feeling really sugar addicted, I'll have 3 or 4 servings for a few days and then gradually drop that down to one or two throughout the course of the week.
Picking up a piece of fruit is easy but it's not always interesting. Sometimes, just picking up an apple or banana and easting it isn't appealing. My favorite fruit of all time happens to be mango so I decided to devise a mango salsa either for eating straight, Paleo style, or for eating with chips, chicken, talapia, salmon or anything else other people want to pair it with. It's an easy way to get in some more fruit, a few veggies, and of course to spice up an otherwise simple meal!
Stitch's All Purpose Paleo Mango Salsa
- 2.5 cups of peeled and diced mangos
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted, skinned, and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- cayenne pepper to taste (I don't like things super spicy, so you may want to adjust this factor based on what you like. I start with a pinch and do taste tests while mixing to find the right balance)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 whole lime, juiced
- Chop, dice, and dump all your ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly. It's important because you don't want the salt or the spicy bits to get stuck in one particular clump or place
- Serve and eat it!